Since 1983, he worked primarily capital cases, first and second degree murder cases and manslaughter cases. In addition, he was the lead counsel in many of the most high profile cases tried in Jacksonville over the past three decades. Mr. McGuinness developed a particular expertise in dealing with forensic evidence and was called upon to present at seminars in Florida and across the country on forensic issues, cross-examination, case investigation, false confessions and a variety of other topics.
Mr. McGuinness' trial efforts and successes were chronicled over the years by the press and a number of television programs. Mr. McGuinness and his partner, Ann Finnell, were the featured counsel in a film "Murder on a Sunday Morning" which followed a local murder case that ultimately drew international attention. After the successful conclusion of the case and the vindication of their client, the film was featured on HBO and won an Oscar (Academy Award) for the best documentary in 2002.
- University of Miami School Law, Miami, Florida
- J.D. - 1977
- University of Connecticut, School of Business, Storrs, Connecticut
- B.A. - 1973
- Major: Business Administration
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Florida
- Criminal Law
- Public Defender’s Office in Jacksonville, Florida, Senior Trial Attorney
- Oscar (Academy Award) for the best documentary in 2002